One of the greatest responsibilities we have as adults is making sure we take good care of our health, especially when flu season comes around each fall and winter. The flu is a nasty virus that can affect young and old alike, so it is important to take any and all steps possible to avoid getting infected and falling sick, since even a minor case can make the patient miserable. This article will take a look at several ways to avoid catching the flu virus this year.
- Receive the Annual Flu Shot: One of the best ways to avoid catching the flu is to get the annual flu shot as soon as it becomes available. Medical professionals all over the country agree that the flu shot is one of the best ways to drastically reduce your chances of catching the flu virus, since it is designed to protect you against the strain of flu that is predicted to be the most common in a given flu season.
- Get Plenty of Rest Each Night: Another way to avoid catching the flu is to get plenty of rest each night. Staying well rested helps you stay healthy because a well-rested body can retain a strong immune system, which in turn will make it more difficult for the flu virus to latch on to your body.
- Visit Urgent Care as Soon as Flu Symptoms Begin to Show: A third way to avoid catching the flu is to visit the urgent care clinic and be seen by medical professionals as soon as flu symptoms begin to show. It should be noted that you might not be able to avoid the flu completely once flu symptoms are present, however, if you’re seen by a doctor straightaway, you should be able to receive treatment that will lessen the impact the flu virus will have on you.
- Frequently Wash Your Hands: A fourth way to avoid catching the flu is to frequently wash your hands. Regular hand washing should already be a normal daily activity, but during flu season when the virus is everywhere, it should become even more frequent. Regular hand washing with antibacterial soap and hot water will kill most of the flu germs you come into contact with, which will make it more difficult to contract the flu virus.
- Avoid Physical Contact With Those Who Are Already Sick: And finally, a fifth way to avoid catching the flu this year is to avoid physical contact, whenever possible, with those who are already sick with the flu. This way can be one of the most difficult, but once flu season begins you need to keep track of everyone you know who is sick with the flu at any given time. Keep in mind that the flu virus is most contagious during the first week anyone has the virus. After the first week, it should be relatively safe to be around them again, but not for that first week.
In conclusion, there are many thing that can be done to avoid catching the flu this year. Some of these ways include getting the annual flu shot from medical professionals, getting lots of rest each night, visiting urgent care as soon as flu symptoms appear, frequently washing your hands, and avoiding physical contact with those who are already sick. By following these tips, you will be well on your way to getting through flu season without falling prey to the flu virus.